You are currently browsing the monthly archive for January 2011.
Gotan Project is a phenomenon, an incredible fusion of Argentinian tango, dub and new tones, which “Revancha Del Tango” album won the hearts of listeners round the world by. The music of Gotan Project is timeless joining different kinds of music as well as cultural and generation traditions. The nostalgic sounds of accordion, grand piano and violin easily harmonize with the house bits that Argentinian tango is a natural base of.
The band was set up in 1999 in Paris by the guitarist Eduardo Makaroff and a producer and keyboarder Philippe Cohen Solal who is the author of music for “Europe”, the film made by Lars von Trier. Christop H. Müller was the last person who joined the band. “La Revancha del Tango” album was the debut of the Gotan Project and it made the band popular. Apart from their compositions one can also find in the album modern arrangements of tracks of Tango masters. The second album “Lunatico” was published in 2006, and the most famous track in it was “Diferente”.
Time: 24.02.2011, 7 p.m.
Place: Hala Orbita
Tickets’ price: 250zł/200zł/150zł/120zł/90zł
Source: PIK Wroclaw
There are only six such real estates in the World. Each of them was the manifestation of modern architecture called modernism – the essence of artistic avant-garde of the first half of the XX century. The most famous real estate is in Weißenhofsiedlung in Stuttgart and it is a pilgrimage destination of fans of modern architecture from all over the world. Another, equally interesting real estate is located in Dąbie quarter in Wrocław. One can find here one of the best examples of Wrocław’s modernism. That time the capital of Lower Silesia was in the avant-garde of modern architecture.
Another interesting building is the Model House no. 7 designed by Adolf Rading. It is located in Tramwajowa Street and it’s called “high-rise”(Turmhaus). Now it is a student house” Pancernik” and it’s adapted for married couples with children. Rading designed two ten floor skyscrapers, but they were reduced to 4 floors because of the construction administration. They were symmetric objects that were linked by corridors in each floor. The space of the roof was decorated by oval elements taken from naval architecture. There are 24 flats in these buildings. The original form of these buildings wasn’t saved – the open space between the buildings was built up.
The next building is the Model House no. 31 designed by Hans Schauron. It is located in Kopernika Street 9. Its complicated shape and the size are very interesting and attract attention. It was designed as a hotel for singles and married couples without children. The building has two three storey wings – in the south wing there were single apartments and in the north wing there were rooms for marriages. The wings were linked by an oblique entrance vestibule. In one wing there are 2 floors with balconies and there is a strip of ground-floor windows of the restaurant. In the second wing there aren’t balconies but the terrace with the garden on the roof. It is easy to notice elements taken from the naval architecture because of oval holes in the back walls which were criticized during a fair. Nowadays it’s a Park hotel.
The bath opened by Breslauer Hallenschwimmbad AG was built in the XIX century. The company announced the competition (in which 40 participants took part) for the project of this place. The winner was a young architect from Leipzig Wilhelm Werdelmann. The construction started in September 1895. The building in Teatralna Street 10-12 and Mennicza 12 was ready in 2 years. The opening ceremony was on 14 June 1897 and from that moment it was a very popular place. Besides the swimming pool the building contained also a steam bath, hygienic and therapeutic baths, a restaurant and a utility room.
As a result of its popularity it was rebuilt between 1907 and 1908. A swimming pool for women and a characteristic water tower were open on 19 October 1908 in the presence of Caroline, the princess of Saxony-Meiningen.
The next reconstructions were 20 years later. The main swimming pool was rebuilt in 1928, and next year the swimming pools for boys and girls were built. During the Second World War the building wasn’t destroyed so and in summer 1945 it was open for public.
Inside the building one can find different design elements – fountains, sculptures, mosaics, tiles – mainly with animals, waves or water deities. The bath was the first such a place in Wroclaw. It was a step towards the increasing social needs for swimming and healthy services which had already been very popular in Europe. Due to the construction of the indoor swimming pool swimming became popular after the end of summer season.