The bath opened by Breslauer Hallenschwimmbad AG was built in the XIX century. The company announced the competition (in which 40 participants took part) for the project of this place. The winner was a young architect from Leipzig Wilhelm Werdelmann. The construction started in September 1895. The building in Teatralna Street 10-12 and Mennicza 12 was ready in 2 years. The opening ceremony was on 14 June 1897 and from that moment it was a very popular place. Besides the swimming pool the building contained also a steam bath, hygienic and therapeutic baths, a restaurant and a utility room.

As a result of its popularity it was rebuilt between 1907 and 1908. A swimming pool for women and a characteristic water tower were open on 19 October 1908 in the presence of Caroline, the princess of Saxony-Meiningen.

The next reconstructions were 20 years later. The main swimming pool was rebuilt in 1928, and next year the swimming pools for boys and girls were built. During the Second World War the building wasn’t destroyed so and in summer 1945 it was open for public.

Inside the building one can find different design elements – fountains, sculptures, mosaics, tiles – mainly with  animals, waves or water deities. The bath was the first such a place in Wroclaw. It was a step towards the increasing social needs for swimming and healthy services which had already been very popular in Europe. Due to the construction of the indoor swimming pool swimming became popular after the end of summer season.

Source: tuwroclaw.com

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

Advertisements