Water Tower next to Wiśniowa avenue is located in Borek estate in Wrocław. The tower has a height of 62 metres. On the 42 meter there is located a lookout gallery where for a small fee one could watch the panoramic view of the city and when the weather was good he was able to see Ślęza mountain peak and also the Karkonosze Mountains.

It was built in 1903-1904 according to the project of Karl Klimm on the southern outskirts of the city and it was accessible to visitors in 1906. In 1908 the staff of Water Tower pulled a red flag on the days when the weather and visibility were good. The fee for entering the elevator to the top was about 10 fenings. During the siege of Festung Breslau in 1945 the tower was a vantage point to control fire. From World War II till the 1990s, the tower wasn’t restored, but the tanks were used till the half of the 80s. The tower was bought by the Stephen Elektronik Investment in the end of the 90 years.

The tower represents different art styles: the end of eclecticism with the elements of secession in the ornamentation and sculpture, mixed gothic forms with the neo-Romanesque Wilhelmine style. The construction is covered with clinker brick. The first two levels served as flats for tower team staff, now together with the attic they are usable floor space.

Source: Wikipedia

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

Advertisements