You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘History’ category.
Archival photographs in 3D, interactive screens, multimedia displays and maps — these are just some of the attractions of the newly opened Discovery Center in the Centennial Hall.
“Discovery Center” consists of several rooms. Historical Room will take us to the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. With the right décor, and music we will know the realities of the work of architects of the Peoples Hall, and we will learn more about the scale of the project. The room will surprise visitors with glittering drawers and telephones using which we will hear a conversation with witnesses of important events related to the hall.
A place with phones will for sure arouse a great interest as you can listen to the statements of people involved in building the hall. There was recorded for example a photographer Stanislav Sadowski, who “immortalized” in a film events organized in the hall in 1948 during Recovered Territories Exhibition. You can also listen to the sound of the original organs, which were standing in the hall till 1945.
The educational-cognitive room is going to bring us the history of Wroclaw closer. Young people will find interactive games and puzzles here. In the so-called Visitor’s Center one will find animations on touch screens and sleek, spacious hall model. There will also be a gift shop, where one can buy books and toys related to the hall.
The exhibition will be tailored for the blind and disabled. Electronic guide will help to listen about the history of the hall in Polish, English and German.
Source: Gazeta Wrocławska
Hasse House is one of the most outstanding buildings of Wroclaw from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. Its unique architecture is sublime and noble scenery in the southern German style. Modern Wroclaw associate it mainly with the fact that houses the Consulate General of the Federal German Republic.
The villa was built between 1897 to 1899 for a wealthy family Haase – brewery owners in Krakowska Street no 88-106. In 1896 the owner of the brewery, founded in 1858 by Eduard Haase, and its time the largest brewery in eastern Germany, was Georg Haase – Wroclaw brewer and entrepreneur, a visionary development of the spa (he was the founder of Polanica-Zdrój), and tourism. From an early age George was prepared to take the family business, so received a thorough education in the cultivation and processing of barley and beer production, becoming a well-known specialist in the industry. Held for this purpose a number of practice and study trips to breweries in Germany, Holland, Belgium and Switzerland. He has published dissertation, “The refining of the Silesian species and increasing the barley harvest,” and published a pamphlet Fri “Against the total abstinence” (Gegen totale Alkoholabstinenz) to realize the beneficial effects of drinking beer in not excessive quantities.
Haase villa was designed by Otto March’s – German architect, building a secret counselor trained in Berlin and Vienna. It was held in 1888 tour of Great Britain, which inspired him to design buildings in the English style. A similar villa, built for the German chemist and industrialist Carl Kolbe, located in Radebeulu, in Saxony. Besides March palaces designed in Lusatia, Silesia (Palace in Komorzna) and the Wielkopolska and the churches in Berlin, Eisenach and Cologne. Some basements were Willi club rooms (billiards, beer bar), on the ground floor were representative rooms (room receptions, music room). On the first floor, there were bedrooms and children’s rooms, the attic – guest rooms, bedrooms, living room and laundry. Richly decorated interior, two-story lobby, stone facades and sculptural decoration of the picturesque coach house in the garden represent the uniqueness of this object in the scale of the city and the region.
Ivan Semenowicz Polbin was born in 1905 in a prison cell. In the early years, he attended elementary school and worked as a shepherd. A little later he moved from his native village and was employed as a laborer on the railroad. He also joined the Komsomol. When in 1927 he was drafted into the army, he finally found his destiny. He quickly climbed the career ladder, in 1931 he graduated with honors from the military pilot school in Orenburg. For the rest of his life took a total of 157 sorties, and in less than 15 years from a private became a major general of the Red Army. He fought in the Middle East, in the Battle of Stalingrad and Sandomierz. In 1945 he was sent to Lower Silesia.
Why did Polobin become famous? Friends and subordinates certainly admired his impulsive character and courage. Even as a general, despite the prohibition, he continued flying combat. He never left his pilots in difficult missions, or at least in such a way Soviet propaganda showed him. Crazy ideas of Polbin connected with tactical aviation went down in history. Above all the first known use of bombers to shoot down enemy aircraft is attributed to him (usually addressing this with the escort fighters). In October 1943 his regiment destroyed six German planes while losing three of their own. That way the Soviet bombing avoided enemy positions. In 1942 he was awarded the highest title of Hero of the Soviet Union, and three years later he received it the second time. Unfortunately posthumously.
What happened in 1945 above burning Breslau? On February 10, 1945 there was held the first Soviet air raids on the capital of Lower Silesia. The next day, beautiful weather encouraged Polbin who stationed in Brzeg to lead the regiment of nine bombers over Oporów, a village near Wroclaw. He chose to fly over the city, hoping that would hide in the dense smoke bursting from the burning buildings. This courageous decision proved disastrous for him and the crew. Pe-2 aircraft was spotted and shot down by a cannon standing in Fiołkowa street near today’s FAT. The machine exploded, the remains of the general has never been found.
Nowadays, one of the streets of Kozanów is named after him.