You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Market Square’ tag.
Christmas Fair will start on 25 November creating the atmosphere of Christmas in Wroclaw. The stands have been installed since November 16 in the Market Square and Świdnicka Street. The official opening of the fair is planned at 5 p.m. on November 25, although the stands will open at 10 a.m.
The ice sculptures (for example a Snow Queen and her throne) will be a new thing of the fair. They will appear at 1 p.m. on December 3. Among other attractions of the fair there will be a small forge where a smith will make horseshoes for luck and a place where a minter will strike coins.
As every year, a gift dwarf, who fulfills Christmas wishes, will come to the fair. On the balcony of the house “At the dwarf” there will be chamber concerts and carol songs for children.
Traditionally, on December 6 Santa Claus will visit the fair. Sleigh and reindeer will park at the monument of Fredro. Fairytale Forest will grow and it will be hosted by Little Red Riding Hood, Thumbelina and Sleeping Beauty.
Merchants who will come to Wroclaw are from Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Germany, Belarus, Austria and the Czech Republic. Vendors will offer mulled wine, mead, gingerbread hearts, Hungarian cake and roasted chestnuts. The fair will be open until 23 December daily from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
There is a street that cuts in half Wroclaw’s Market Square. It is only 75 meters long, but it’s very colourful. It’s Kurzy Targ street with a rich history that linked the east part of Market Square (called the side of green tube) with Szewska Street.
The name “green tube” comes from a public well that was located in this part of Market Square (exactly under the tenement house no. 36/37), and the greenery that appeared in the name was connected with algae on the tube. Kurzy Targ street was delineated in the XIIIth century and its name was connected with street trading. There was sold not only poultry there but also venison, milk, vegetables and fruit. The name of the street appeared in the books in the XVth and XVIth century and functioned till the end of the XVIIIth century and then was changed for the name “Tylny Targ”. In the middle of the XVth century there were boxes of clogs and slippers manufactures and merchants pots. Later a goldsmith, a tailor, a glazier and a chemist lived in this street. The trade books appeared here in 1512 when the merchant Franciszek Kloss, who was living there, got from king Zygmunt Stary the privilege to buy and sell books in Poland.
The south part of Kurzy Targ Street was destroyed in the XIXth and XXth century to build secessionist department store of Barasch Brothers (nowadays “DH Feniks”) that was designed by the architect Georg Schneider. The north part was built in by tenement houses in the Middle Ages.
One of them is the “House of Silesian Chemist” (Kurzy Targ Street no. 4) where there was the oldest pharmacy in Wroclaw – “Pharmacy under the double gold eagle”, also called “Pharmacy Garland Market” that worked from the middle of the XIIIth century till 1951. It’s said that it was one of the oldest pharmacies in Poland. In the oldest documents one can find that the name “Pharmacy Garland Market” and “Pharmacy under the double gold eagle” are used interchangeably but the second one clearly indicates getting the privilege of the Emperor. Finally in 1829 the emblem with the name “Pharmacy under the double gold eagle” appeared in the wall of the tenement house and its neighborhood got two wreaths just to highlight the name “Pharmacy Garland Market”.
The economic boom of the city was in 1925-1931 after suppressing the hyperinflation from the beginning of the 20s. The boom caused creating a lot of public buildings among others a very important one for Wroclaw’s architecture, the bank. In 1928 there was announced competition for a project for the new office of the City Savings Bank that was on the corner of the Salt Square and the Market Square. The investment was funded from the city budget and people hoped that it would influence the boom of local economy.
The aspiration of Wroclaw’s architecture society and the modern times inspired by the dynamic development of technique had to be reflected in the most important investment of that time. Famous German architects – mainly from Wroclaw and Berlin — were invited to take part in the competition.
All competition’s projects proposed 7th floor buildings and at that time it meant that it would be a skyscraper. The winner project prepared by Heinrich Rump, in a great way showed the views on modern architecture and ideally hit home of expectation of the jury. The jury didn’t see anything wrong in the replacement of tenement houses from the Salt Square and the Market Square by the new building. They agreed to build the 7th floor building from the Salt Square side and the 10th floor from the Market Square side. The only decoration’s elements were located around the big portal with two entries from the Market Square’s side. The convex reliefs in Art Deco’s style were inspired by Egyptian art showing the motifs and scenes from these days life. An interesting decorative element was a massive pillar that was located between two entries and visibly marked the number of the building – 9/11.
The skyscraper that was located in the city center wasn’t a problem for the architects and clerks because it fulfilled the metropolitan ambition of Wroclaw’s residence. It was a big dream of Max Berg about a skyscraper. Until the 40s nobody wanted to change the numbers of floors, then Rudolf Stein suggested the reduction of the building but nobody agreed on that.