You are currently browsing the monthly archive for July 2011.
MONSTER JAM HAS BEEN POSTPONED. IT’S GOING TO TAKE PLACE ON OCTOBER the 1ST!
Monster Jam is the rivalry between the big, characteristic American Monster Truck pickups that are driven by methanol engines and achieve power of almost 500 mechanic horses. The competition is played on the biggest stadiums in the world.
In Wroclaw’s competition there will be 10 top teams from the U.S., such as: Grave Digger and Maximum Destruction. Monster Jam is not only the rivalry on the course. Before the Monster appears on the course one can see it close at the Pit Party, the special event that will be before the main event. The owners of tickets will have a chance to get the autograph or talk to the drivers or mechanics of these huge machines. It’s the great occasion to see how the Monster Trucks look like. All of this one can see in the special zone next to the stadium.
For the Monster Jam the Wroclaw’s plate stadium will be covered by 6 500 tons of special mix of clay and sand that will form the course. It will also create the special ground jumps and the obstacles that will be built from 30 wrecks of cars, buses, vans and caravans.
Time: 01.10.2011, 3 p.m.
The economic boom of the city was in 1925-1931 after suppressing the hyperinflation from the beginning of the 20s. The boom caused creating a lot of public buildings among others a very important one for Wroclaw’s architecture, the bank. In 1928 there was announced competition for a project for the new office of the City Savings Bank that was on the corner of the Salt Square and the Market Square. The investment was funded from the city budget and people hoped that it would influence the boom of local economy.
The aspiration of Wroclaw’s architecture society and the modern times inspired by the dynamic development of technique had to be reflected in the most important investment of that time. Famous German architects – mainly from Wroclaw and Berlin — were invited to take part in the competition.
All competition’s projects proposed 7th floor buildings and at that time it meant that it would be a skyscraper. The winner project prepared by Heinrich Rump, in a great way showed the views on modern architecture and ideally hit home of expectation of the jury. The jury didn’t see anything wrong in the replacement of tenement houses from the Salt Square and the Market Square by the new building. They agreed to build the 7th floor building from the Salt Square side and the 10th floor from the Market Square side. The only decoration’s elements were located around the big portal with two entries from the Market Square’s side. The convex reliefs in Art Deco’s style were inspired by Egyptian art showing the motifs and scenes from these days life. An interesting decorative element was a massive pillar that was located between two entries and visibly marked the number of the building – 9/11.
The skyscraper that was located in the city center wasn’t a problem for the architects and clerks because it fulfilled the metropolitan ambition of Wroclaw’s residence. It was a big dream of Max Berg about a skyscraper. Until the 40s nobody wanted to change the numbers of floors, then Rudolf Stein suggested the reduction of the building but nobody agreed on that.
Since 1998 the recreation stable has been opened for the whole year. It includes the hipppotherapy classes. All fans of horses: players, fans of races, people who want to learn how to ride a horse and other people are welcome here. The Wroclaw’s Racecourse is also an organizer of fairs: child day, day with British Embassy and livestock shows.
The tradition of racecourses started in Wroclaw in the Middle Ages, but the first racecourse was opened in 1833. It was located in the part of today’s Zoological Garden and Centennial Hall. On 31 May 1833 there was the first racecourse. Since 1870 the racecourse has been connected with the Tote Race. The loan agreement of this racecourse was finished in 1907 and that’s why the Silesian Partnership of Horse Breeder and Racecourses bought the land in Partynice district. On 1st October 1905 the construction of the racecourse started and the project was made by R. Jurgens from Hamburg.
The buildings that are nowadays located there where built in the beginning of the 20th century. In the 50s there were built 5 new buildings – building stables and the buildings of Tote Race.